Sunday, March 27, 2005

Resurrection Celebration

Did everyone have a happy Easter? Was it a joyous time that your family spent together? Easter has been somewhat of a puzzle in my family over the last few years. When I was young, we always did the whole: discover Easter basket - go to church - eat family dinner - easter egg hunt - eat too much candy thing. And I loved it! It was fun hunting for eggs that were stuffed with candy (and sometimes money from Grandpa), but I didn't really understand what Easter was about. Then a few years ago, Mom and Dad were moved in such a way that they decided that most of those things that Easter was normally comprised of, didn't reflect the true meaning of Easter. Easter is to celebrate our Savior rising from the dead after being crucified on the cross, and we weren't involving that into any of our holiday activities. So the first year my parents really tried hard to come up with activities to focus on the crucifixion and resurrection of Christ and it went fairly well. The youngest children didn't see it as being as exciting, but they did enjoy it. After that first year we have done a variety of things on Easter, but most of them consist of eating a delicious meal with relatives or church family.
So whats the right thing to do on Easter? I think God would want us to use this day for His Glory, just like any other day. The only difference is that sometimes people are more open to the gospel on this day than any other day. Yesterday, at work, I had a man comment to me that "Everyone goes to church on Easter, right?". I have come to realize this more and more as the years go by. I personally don't understand it, but I think that it could be used for the Lord's work if we look at it from the spiritual aspect.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home